Saturday, August 29, 2009

The things I don't like about metal detecting

It's been a while since I last wrote here, and it's not cuz I haven't went out and visited the quarter factories (aka parks, or any place that produces quarters like a slot machine). I guess it's because the newbie'ness of detecting has wore off. (wait... slot machines don't give out quarters do they?) (OH OH! I know, or any place that produces quarters like a change machine at an arcade when you put a $5 bill in, yeah! yeah! yeah!) Oh sorry... I got off track...

Right.. newbie'ness of MD'n, one update is that I don't even dig up penny's anymore "but Ryan, what if it's an old penny?" Oh well dude, someone else can have it, "I'm high maintenance" :) At this point you're thinking... why did you title this post "The things I don't like about metal detecting", right? Cuz I really haven't talked about that at all.

It dawned on me today as I was driving home from the park (where I cashed in a little over $1, not quite a quarter factory today) this morning, what exactly drives me nuts about MD'n.

I was driving my normal Loonnng way home, to just say "hi" to downtown Chino, some of the fam's houses and the first schoolhouse in Chino when "Don" a Brother-In-Law was reversing out of his driveway. I rolled the window down to say hi and chit chat a little bit in the middle of the street. (yeah that's right... in the middle of the street, eat your heart out L.A.) haha...
So he asked what I was doing and I told him I was on the way home from MD'n. What did he say? "Did you find anything?" Seriously? "Did I find anything?" That's like asking someone if they went to the Beach and then asking.. "did you see any sand or water?" (Rolling my eyes)

The things I don't like about metal detecting...

1) "Did you find anything?" (as Chate's would say.. "Yeah no Duh!")
2) "What are you looking for?" (What do you care? Did you lose something? And where abouts did you lose it?)
3) The starring, (If I was in elementary school, I'd say.. "do you have a starring problem?" - Seriously, we're both at the same park, only I'm looking for (something) and you're just looking at me, who's the weird one?) (Rolling my eyes, AGAIN)
4) "Find anything good?" - (Once again.. what do you care, you just want to bug me so if it was something good, I won't get it )

I will say one thing though... Kids are good, they're the ones that are 100% curious.

Kid-
"Mommy, what is that man doing?".

Mom-
Grabs kids hand an tries to rush off (What? Is MD'n borderline psycho?)

Kid-
(thinks to herself) If mom won't tell me I'll just ask him... "What are you doing?"

Me-
Smile at mom (as if to say... it's not a gun, calm down) and tell the kid.. "It's a metal detector, I'm looking for metal, now in the future, whenever you see some quarters (at the house or in the car or in your mom's pocket) save them and next time you're at this park, throw them all over the ground"

Awwww such a sweet kid!
:)

3 comments:

Migs said...

Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I guess its just people's nature to act like weirdo's when they see something out of the ordinary. I had never seen a metal dectorist before and now people are seeing you and I all over the place... I guess its kinda like a slap in the face to them, since were taking money they could be diggin, if they werent so lazy. HA!

Anonymous said...

Keep digging mi amigos!! It doesnt matter whats on the outside its whats on the inside that counts......inside the dirt that I dig up....the chupacabra treasure!! LONG LIVE EL CHUPACABRA!!

Dee said...

Ha ha! I like #3 - that's funny!